Django is an open-source web development framework. It was developed in 2003 by Adrian Holovaty and Simon Willison when they were working at the Lawrence Journal-World newspaper. Since then Django has been used in the IT industry by large companies to develop highly scalable, reliable, versatile, and secure web applications. Moreover, In the last decade with python gaining its popularity in different sectors ranging from web development to social networking sites, and scientific computation applications, Django is in-demand.
In this blog, We will have a look at top 10 products developed using Django. But, before that lets first check out questions like: Why should one choose Django? What are its features? What makes it different from other frameworks available in the market?
What is Django? Django is a web development framework based on the Python programming language. It follows the MVT(Model-View-Template) architectural pattern which is one of its key features.
Django offers many different features some of them are
Scalability : Django is exceedingly scalable and implies that it can swiftly switch from modest to large-scale projects.
Security : Django takes security as its priority and allows users to use in-built classes and middleware to reassure security of applications.
Versatility: Django is an extremely versatile framework that can be used to build anything from simple apps with no database to complicated projects with large databases.
Rapid development: Django is fully loaded with inbuilt functionalities like administration site, authentication system and many more which allows rapid development of web applications.
How can Django prove to be a better choice for your project?
It is based on the Python programming language which is very easy to learn compared to any other programming language.
Its documentation is well-organized and simple to understand
It has a huge community support.
It can be used to design web applications that are SEO friendly.
To make the application more flexible, it includes an inbuilt authentication and administration system.
It enables the construction of complex projects at a rapid pace.
Now, We’ll look at the key advantages of using Django by looking at the following products made using this framework.
1. Bitbucket Bitbucket was launched in 2008 by Jesper Nøhr. Later, It was acquired by atlassian. It is a cloud-based git source code repository hosting service specially developed for professional web developer teams to manage git project repositories during the software development cycle.It is developed using Django, a python-based web development framework. The reasons Django is used by Bitbuket are firstly its vast community support, secondly its in-built functionalities, libraries and modules offered for rapid development of projects.Bitbucket is used to manage git repositories of our projects and its main features include:
Pull requests and code reviews
Branch comparison and commit history
Unlimited private repositories for free (for up to five users)
2. Disqus Disqus is one of the major projects developed using Django. It was launched on October 30, 2007 and was developed by Daniel Ha and Jason Yan. Later, it was acquired by Zeta Global on December 5, 2017. It enables you to add commenting and discussion features to your website, as well as monitor user activity and customize ad serving.Django, a python-based web development framework, was used to build Disqus. Djnago was chosen for its magnificent features like exceedingly scalability, rapid development using inbuilt functionalities .Disqus offers features like
Easy-to-use plug-in for comments.
Advanced analytics tool and configurable ad serving.
Easy to integrate
3. Dropbox Dropbox is a famous cloud based storage application. Dropbox is founded by Drew Houston and was launched in 2008. It allows you to store files such as documents, video graphics and many more. The files are accessible anywhere at any time when the device is able to access the internet.Dropbox is developed using the Django framework based on python programming language which makes its development so fast. Dropbox is currently using Python 3.5 version.Django is used to develop both the backend server and client side of this application. Different types of files can be stored synchronized and shared using functionalities of Django.Dropbox offers features like
4. Eventbrite Eventbrite is an event management platform which works as a ticketing service. It was founded in 2006 by Kevin Hartz and Julia Hartz and Renaud Visage. Users can use the service to search for, create, and promote local events.It is developed using Python and some inhouse frameworks but later it switched to Django to make the application more scalable and interactive.Now, it can be scaled to manage the huge number of users and can be constantly given new updates using Django functionalities.Eventbrite offers features like
Surveys and audience polls
5. Instagram Instagram, one of the most well-known and rapidly-growing social media platforms. It was founded by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger. In April 2012, Facebook (now known as meta) acquired it. Instagram is used to form a network with people all over world and share photos and videos with them and like,share or comment on the items shared.It is another website developed with Python and the Django web development framework. Instagram deals with a lot of data and user activities. The Instagram team handles all of this with Django, as well as take use of in-built tools that allow them to focus on UI and UX without having to worry about the technology that makes them function.Instagram offers feature like
Live video streaming, IGTV, Story sharing
Push Notifications for Your Favorite Accounts
Photo and Video Filters using machine learning techniques
Hyperlink Username and Hashtags
6. Mozilla Mozilla, one of the most popular browsers, can handle hundreds of millions of inquiries per month. It was founded in 1998 by members of Netscape later Mozilla 1.0, the first major version, was released in 2002. The Firefox web browser, Thunderbird e-mail client and others are among Mozilla’s current products.Mozilla was originally built with PHP using Cake PHP web development framework but to make the application scalable and versatile they switched to Python using Django framework. Django now powers the Mozilla support website as well as all of their browser add-ons.Features given below are offered by Mozilla Firefox are
Page Actions menu: Bookmark, snap, save or share
Private Browsing with Enhanced Tracking Protection: Browse fast and free
Keep your Firefox in sync
Customize the menu or the toolbar
7. Pinterest Pinterest is an image-sharing and social media service that uses pin-boards to allow users to save and find content on the internet using photos, animated GIFs and video. Ben Silbermann, Paul Sciarra, and Evan Sharp established the site, which had over 430 million global monthly active users as of February 2022. Now, Pinterest, Inc., based in San Francisco, runs the site. Pinterest users can subscribe to other users and share their boards using this framework.Django is a popular choice among social networking networks because it can manage large amounts of data and thousands of user interactions every second. Pinterest needs to provide exceptional performance and the capacity to scale effectively while maintaining performance with 250 million monthly active users.Pinterest offers features like :
Creative sharing of content or blog
Free to use
Send pins to friends
8. Spotify Spotify is a large database that allows users to listen to music on any device. It was founded on 23 April 2006 by Daniel Ek and Martin Lorentzon. Spotify, like iTunes, revolutionized the way consumers listen to, share, and buy music. You may access your music library from anywhere and on any device when you use it. Spotify employs a mix of Java, Python, and C++ and Django to make a backend that is fast and allows options for machine learning to present consumers with personalized auto-generated playlists.Spotify offers features like
Find music with Spotify’s recommendations
Ability to download songs, albums, and podcasts for offline listening
Pin content in your library for easy access
09. The Washington Post The online app for The Washington Post, one of the world’s most influential newspapers, is one of the best Django application examples of this type. The Django framework is used by the Washington Post to handle high loads and provide quick and efficient website performance.The Washington Post, The Guardian, The New York Times, and other newspaper websites that use Django are now highly scalable and capable of handling massive volumes of data supplied by their daily audiences.The Washington Post website, which is entirely developed in Django, received 172 million monthly visits in March 2019.
10. YouTube YouTube is a free video-sharing website that makes watching online videos simple. You can even make your own videos and post them to enjoy with others. YouTube, which was founded in 2005, is currently one of the most popular websites on the Internet, with over 6 billion hours of video watched each month.It was originally designed in PHP, but due to rapid audience growth and the need to quickly incorporate new features, the team decided to join the Django community. And the decision was well-founded, as audience growth hasn’t slowed, and new features come on a regular basis.YouTube offers features like
Channel dashboard and Analytics
Likes, Comment Share and Save video
Search engine optimization tools
Final Thought We’ve only shown a few examples of popular Django-powered apps. There are a lot more Django apps available. Django is an excellent choice for both small and large businesses that want to offer products as rapidly as possible and at a low cost.. You may use this framework to not only build a website, but also to enhance it with new features and updates, as well as scale it for a wider audience.
Startxlabs, one of India’s top digital transformation service providers. Launched in 2014, Startxlabs aims in innovating a digital future by developing technology for the web and mobile platforms. From our beginning as a technology development company, we’ve tried to stay true to our core beliefs and to deliver exceptional services to our clients. Whether it’s people we work for or people who work for us, we value honesty, passion, and the desire to explore. We have expertise in website development, android app development, iOS app development, Flutter, React Native app development, UI/UX design, and marketing strategy. With the engagement of our highly technical team, we have delivered over 110+ projects providing a positive impact on the users.